Sunday, December 8, 2013

Blog Post #16

Part # 1

Looking toward the future for my teaching career, there are certain philosophies I must consider before stepping in my classroom for the first time. Four important questions I will ask myself and then answer/explain in this blog; which will hopefully shed some light as to who I will be as a teacher.



My first question is: who am I and how will I teach? Well, I am a Secondary Education/ History major, so, a middle school or high school history teacher will be my set profession. I am a proponent of a never stop learning attitude that will keep me always ahead of the curve no matter what is thrown my way. I have a strong desire to be the absolute best at anything I do. In turn, I want my students to be the best they can possibly be and therefore I will do anything in my power to make sure they succeed in my class and beyond. Teaching for me is not an 8-3, Monday to Friday job. No, it is a 24/7 passion that I will happen to get paid for. I also believe in the alliteration adage of: proper prior planning prevents painfully poor performance. All in all, I am there for my students, and no one else. If they walk away from taking my class learning a great deal AND with an understanding to the wonderful relevance of history/appreciation; I will of won.



My second question is: how will my students learn and what are my teaching methods? My students will learn first and foremost through open discussion. Since it is History, reading will be required weekly and hence reviewed in class. I want interaction at all times. I will not be a lecture based teacher. Nothing to me is worse than power points shown and then repeated by reading exactly what is on the screen. I will most definitely use Project Based Learning as a way to engage my students over longer periods of time. So, obviously, the internet will be heavily used as well. Basically, anything that will make a better learning environment, I will research the product and if I like it, I will implement the item.



My third question to ask is: what tools will I use in my teaching implementation? Well, everything depends on my particular school I am employed at and the available pieces of equipment I am allotted. However, if I have a Smartboard, I will use it extensively. I want to show videos a lot. I want to pull up diagrams, maps or paintings to illustrate many aspects that can help visualize history for my students. I will want to use blogs, if possible, to use as a way of introspecting on history being made in the present and the parallels on history of yesteryear.



My last question is: what will my classroom atmosphere be like? To be simple, it will be fun. I want discussion and laughing. School is tough enough, but especially when a student just sits, listens and writes. Boredom will not be a problem in my classroom. Students CAN learn and have fun. Students do have permission to laugh. As long as they are engaged into what is happening in class, there will be less likelihood I have to enforce the no texting policy etc.. History has been a subject long linked to the "I hate" words attached. I believe one problem is the lack of actual History teachers. Many schools use coaches as the teacher. In my belief, why not make the coaches the Science, English and Math teachers too. I mean, you have a degree in a subject for a reason (hopefully love)!











Looking back on my first blog, entitled If I Built a School it Would Be Like...., I can honestly say I had it pretty dead on. If you click on the link, you can see I had five major points that I believed were very important to have a sound, productive school.

1. Encouragement
2. Importance of Reading
3. Students that think for themselves
4. High use of computers/technology
5. The learning process are the students

I believe I did a descent job if I say so myself. However, let me state, I am open to anything. As I have said before, I just want the best for my students, end of story! I hope they learn from me, as much I am sure, I will learn from them!



Part #2 My Final Reflection

1 comment:

  1. Excellent written commentary.

    I am surprised you didn't use a sailing metaphor for reaching your goal.

    So you want to live in a Rare Book Room!

    To be a SEAL, a chef, a wine expert, a martial arts expert you must practice. Where do books come into those endeavors? :)

    ReplyDelete