Sunday, November 3, 2013

Blog Post #11

Kathy Cassidy is a first grade teacher. Her approach in the classroom is to use technology such as blogging, Wiki and Skype to aid in teaching her students.

One can surmise by this video that her kids enjoy these particular teaching methods.

A Skype video between Dr. Strange and Mrs. Cassidy opens her point of view in terms of these technologically emphasized teaching methods. So, after watching these four total videos, some questions need to be asked, especially for present or future teachers.

The first question could be which of her techniques might myself use? What do you do when on the internet was an important point that I would use for sure. With so many non-educational links on the internet, teaching safety in searching is so important. Skyping another professor or expert might be interesting too.

The second question might be what impediments I might encounter? Distractions seems to be one that could come up often. The internet is a source of wisdom as well as garbage. Making sure, especially with older students, that the actually task is being performed would be a constant aggravation on my part.

The third question are what benefits would there be in using her methods? Letting the students know that using/understanding that there is a world out there where technology is crucial in many aspects of life could be one.

Still, I keep trying to understand if people are forced to go to someone's blog and comment, how is that beneficial to either party? Why under normal circumstances would college students ever want to go to a 1st graders blog that they do not know and post a comment? This is one reason why I would not integrate blogging as a piece to my teaching curriculum.

Look, when I am a teacher, I will do everything in my power to make learning number one A and having fun while doing it number one B. So, when the time comes, I will look at every possible scenario in making a complete well run classroom. Until then, I can not just blindly say that I will for sure use any particular method of teaching. I do not believe that using technology makes someone a great teacher. A great teacher is that way because of a desire to be that way, not the implements used to get there. Just as a pen was not the greatness of Shakespeare, neither is technology the source of greatness in a teacher.

5 comments:

  1. Colin,

    You made some really interesting points in this post. I can see you're studying to teach History as well. I think you made some really good points about content and sincerity being more important than technological tools and mediums. After all, it is human thought that gives meaning to such subjects as History and English.

    I noticed just a few grammatical errors.

    You wrote: "Look, when I am a teacher, I will do everything in my power to make learning number one A and having fun while doing it number one B. So, when the time comes, I will look at every possible scenario in making a complete well run classroom."

    There should be a comma or some other distinction such as parentheses in between "one" and "A". Also did you mean to say "and have fun while doing it, B."?

    These may sound nit picky, but they're all I saw.

    Great Post

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I was referring to 1A and 1B, maybe I should of expressed it in that form.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colin,
    Proofread before publishing your work.
    "The first question could be which of her techniques might myself use?" There needs to be a comma after "be" and there needs to be quotations to show what the question is. Also, "might myself use"?? That doesn't sound right. It should be written like this The first question could be, "Which of her techniques might I use?"

    "What do you do when on the internet was an important point that I would use for sure." I had to reread this sentence a couple of times to understand what you were trying to say. You need to put the actual questions in quotation marks or bold them or something to show they are there because this is a run on sentence.

    Internet safety is extremely important to teach, so how would you handle that? You didn't explain how. What tools would you use or resources to filter the internet your students are using?

    ".....that the actually task is being performed would be a constant aggravation on my part." Actual not actually

    "The third question are what benefits would there be in using her methods?" The third question IS not ARE.... Again, there should be commas and quotations or something pointing out the question.

    "Still, I keep trying to understand if people are forced to go to someone's blog and comment, how is that beneficial to either party? Why under normal circumstances would college students ever want to go to a 1st graders blog that they do not know and post a comment? This is one reason why I would not integrate blogging as a piece to my teaching curriculum." What is the reason you would not integrate blogging? You simply asked questions, did not provide a reason as to why you would not integrate it.
    I do have an answer to your question, ".....if people are forced to go to someone's blog and comment, how is that beneficial to either party?" For the party that is receiving the comment, they are getting feedback and help on way they can improve their post. For the party that is giving the comment, they are getting practice on editing and critiquing. For an education major, you should see that as very beneficial considering you will be editing and critiquing student's work constantly.

    For your question, "Why under normal circumstances would college students ever want to go to a 1st graders blog that they do not know and post a comment?", I also have an answer. I am an elementary major and I personally, along with many many many other elementary majors, love to see 1st graders in action and using technology. The students love it and they are learning and getting benefits out it. Isn't that what teaching is about? Engaging the student in the learning process?

    You need a lot of work in your writing. Make sure to proofread before you publish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "there needs to be quotations to show what the question is." No, quoting you I just needed to, but to quote myself, I do not. What do you do when on the internet was an important point that I would use for sure....this is not a run on sentence as you suggest. Internet safety is extremely important to teach, "so how would you handle that? You didn't explain how. What tools would you use or resources to filter the internet your students are using?" I am happy you want to know what I would do, but, since I am not a teacher yet, I do not know what, when or how I will, if possible, use the internet in my class. I can not give specifics at this time as to my methods of security without firsthand knowledge as to what I am dealing with. However, if you like speculation, feel free to email me and I will happily answer your questions.
      I still do not understand why you ask for quotes on the questions if they are my questions?
      "You simply asked questions, did not provide a reason as to why you would not integrate it." First, sometimes the answer is in the question and as you can hopefully see, you made a grammatical error there.

      "For the party that is receiving the comment, they are getting feedback and help on way they can improve their post. For the party that is giving the comment, they are getting practice on editing and critiquing. For an education major, you should see that as very beneficial considering you will be editing and critiquing student's work constantly." So, you needed to add the or a in front of way to make the sentence correct. Also, this is my opinion and what you said is yours, if you want to debate about it, the comment section is not the appropriate spot.
      "Engaging the student in the learning process?" Is this a question? Oh and if you read my actual question about why college students would want to, you should not of just answered from the children in elementary schools perspective because they do not go hand in hand.
      So, maybe you need a lot of work in your writing! I had four errors, which I can agree were errors that I should of caught, but you also had several errors too. Does that make you a bad writer? I would venture to say, no. However, unlike you I would acknowledge the things you did well first, then point out some grammatical errors, then reiterate what you did well and leave my opinions to myself or relay them through private messaging.
      Bottom line, proofread too and remember you are my peer at best, not my professor.

      Delete